|Writing a career objective for your resume is like writing a personal statement. You want to show your determination and personality but you don’t want to give too much away. After all, you want to entice the employer to invite you to an interview, not tell them everything on your resume! We’ve previously looked at how to write a career objective, but how do you write the perfect one? Here are a few tips on how to write a stand-out career objective;
- Make it relevant to the employer. If you are applying to work in the media industry and your career objective says that you want to be a Vet, you are likely to confuse the employer and it could hinder your chances of getting a job interview. If for some reason you find yourself applying for a job that isn’t in the industry you want to work in keep your career objective vague i.e. I want to work for an organisation where I can develop and where I can make a difference. However your career objective will have more impact if you make it personal to an employer so, if you are unsure of your career direction, consider changing it for each job application.
- Keep it brief. Just like writing a resume you need to get straight to the point and keep the career objective concise. The employer will not have time to read paragraphs of text so ensure you keep it brief.
- Be creative. Try and enthuse your career objective with a bit of personality and show your passion for your career.
- Be realistic. There is nothing wrong with having high expectations however if you are applying to a small firm, stating that you want to be a Director in a month could intimidate them. Instead be realistic about your career goals.
- Set time scales. A career objective can be short or long term so it’s up to you how you set the time scales but try and give the employer an idea of the direction you might be headed if you were to work for their company.
Now you know how to write a good career objective you will need to update your resume. If you’d like help creating a new professionally templated resume how about using our online resume building service? It takes you through creating a resume step-by-step and you can choose from a wide range of eye-catching graphic designs. What are you waiting for? Get started today!
Get started with our free resume service! Try it today!