|Although the current economical climate makes it very difficult for candidates to negotiate a pay rise, you should always be thinking of your future at work including salary. The saying ‘you don’t get if you don’t ask’ is definitely true when it comes to pay rises. But before you sit down for a discussion with your boss, follow these tips to help you impress and to help your career progression.|
- Stand out from the crowd. If you are looking for a pay rise it is vital that you stand out – just like when you are sending your resume template to an employer. To help you secure a pay rise consider putting in extra work. This doesn’t necessarily mean working late. Instead consider asking for extra responsibility and take on more tasks.
- Research your industry. In order to have a discussion with your employer you need to know what your industry standard is. Are you being paid less? Do your research and ensure you are well prepared before you approach the subject.
- Make a list. List down your key skills and achievements so you can refer to this to support your meeting.
- Be open to negotiation. It is highly unlikely that you will come out of the meeting with exactly what you are looking for. Instead set yourself some realistic targets that you would be happy with and be prepared to meet the employer half way.
- Don’t be afraid to speak your mind. If you don’t organise a meeting it could take years for you to have the discussion so be proactive.
Get started with our free resume service! Try it today!